[Dixielandjazz] Song Lyrics

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Sat Feb 18 11:41:12 PST 2012

I learned "My Little Bimbo" from listening to Clancy Hayes singing it with
the Bob Scobey band from the 1950s I would guess. He sang "She's got a shape
like a ukulele" in the first chorus and "She'd be a hit with Barnum and
Bailey" in the second chorus. Is it true the two variations are not in the
original sheet?

Often, it seems to me that new lyrics to tunes qualify them for copyright
renewal. I have 3 versions of Irving Berlin's "I'll See You In C-U-B-A," a
copy of the original from 1920 (verse in Dm, chorus in D), one from the '50s
with Bing Crosby on the cover (can't remember the keys of the verse and
chorus), and one from the Hal Leonard Irving Berlin Fakebook with verse in
Am and chorus in C (ruining the "feel" of the harmony) and with completely
changed lyrics that completely whitewash the original intent of the song as
a Prohibition protest. I actually called Hal Leonard to complain and was
told "tastes change." That may be, but I no longer trust any of the tunes in
that fakebook to be original versions.

Scott Anthony