[Dixielandjazz] Crawling/growling baby

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Wed Feb 15 05:19:41 PST 2012

Hello all

Robert Calder wrote 'I'm still fairly sure it was a Paramount records
label typo which created the GROWLING BABY'. I don't think so.

In the absence of a photo of the label of Paramount 12880-B, the best
information we have is the entry in Max Vreede's /Paramount 12000/1300
series/ (Storyville Publications, 1971). Vreede's book is a true
discography, ie it describes the information on the records themselves
and, generally, is not concerned with information from elsewhere.

The entry for 12880-B is
That Crawlin' Baby Blues (Jefferson - LaMoore), label number 1624

Vreede adds that the 1st appearance of an advertisement for the record
in the Chicago Defender is 8 February 1930. The book also has a
reproduction of the Paramount advertisement in the Chicago Defender of
29 March 1930. 12880 is shown as Pneumonia Blues and That Crawlin' Baby
Blues.

All the best,
Anton