[Dixielandjazz] AWFUL SAD: THE SWEET AND HOT MUSIC FESTIVAL

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Sat Feb 11 11:26:21 PST 2012

No, Norman, you weren't the only one...I just saw this depressing news this AM.   Michael's "Awful Sad" says so much....losing both the Orange County Festival and now the Sweet'n'Hot is leaving a huge, huge void in So Cal.  Financially understandable, but musically just so "awful sad."

Janie
janie39 at socal.rr.com

From: Norman Vickers [mailto:nvickers1 at cox.net]

Maybe everyone knows this except me..  But, then again, as Thomas “Fats” Waller famously said, “  One never knows, do one?”
I had some good times there in past years, none recent.  But I got good reports from those who attended,.
Norman

New post on JAZZ LIVES

AWFUL SAD: THE SWEET AND HOT MUSIC FESTIVAL
by jazzlives
It is possible to feel a stinging grief at the loss of an institution.  I write these words in a very sorrowful mood, because I have learned that the 2012 Sweet and Hot Music Festival has been cancelled.
I came late to this particular party: my first (and only) encounter with this musical cornucopia was during the 2011 Labor Day weekend.  But as I've documented elsewhere on JAZZ LIVES, it was overflowing with good music -- sweet and hot -- and good feeling.
I understand why enterprises of this scope find it impossible to continue, and I don't plan to analyze the economic realities of 2012 here.  I feel so sorry for the musicians who have lost another place to play, and for the hard-working people behind the scenes, especially my dear friend Laurie Whitlock, one of the hardest-working and kindest people in jazz.  For now, I will think fondly of a whirlwind of jazz . . . I documented it on many videos on YouTube, but the future -- at least my own version of it -- isn't going to be the same without the Sweet and Hot Music Festival.
I originally planned to add a video performance or two from the 2011 Sweet and Hot Music Festival to show what had happened there . . . and, by extension, what the dimensions of our loss would be -- but it seemed an impiety.  My feelings find their best expression in silence.
This is the space where the Sweet and Hot Music Festival used to be.
jazzlives | February 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM | Tags: Jazz Lives, Laurie Whitlock, Michael Steinman, Sweet and Hot Music Festival | Categories: Awful Sad, Irreplaceable, The Things We Love | URL: http://wp.me/pckf2-4hS
Comment
   See all comments