[Dixielandjazz] Tuba Raids - Are Oldster traddies to blame?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 10 06:33:30 PST 2012

Oh, oh. There is a rash of Tuba thefts in California. Some say it is
motivated by the growing popularity of banda, a trad form of Mexican
music. However, perhaps it is the last stand of the old age white
traddies that inhabit the left coast in large and vocal numbers. We'll
know soon enough. Tip for the police: If banjo thefts increase, check
the folks in the old age homes and check those trad bands for "new"
instruments".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

‘Tuba Raids’ Plague Schools in California

by Jan Lovett - NY Times - Feb 9, 2012

BELL, Calif. — When thieves broke into the high school music room here
this week, they cut through the bolts on all the storage lockers and
ripped two doors off their frames. But they didn’t touch the computer
or the projector or even the trumpets.

“It was strictly a tuba raid,” said Rolph Janssen, an assistant
principal.

Bell High School is only the most recent victim in a string of tuba
thefts from music departments. In the last few months, dozens of brass
sousaphones — smaller tubas used in marching bands — were taken from
schools in Southern California.

Though the police have not made any arrests, music teachers say the
thefts are motivated by the growing popularity of banda, a traditional
Mexican music form in which tubas play a dominant role.

Teachers point to the targeted pattern of the burglaries: the
expensive brass tubas and sousaphones, which cost $2,000 to $7,000,
are pilfered, while electronics, cheaper fiberglass tubas and other
brass instruments are usually left behind.

“Frankly, I don’t think somebody would go through all that trouble
just to take some brass to go to the salvage lot,” said Ligia Chaves-
Rasas, the music teacher at Bell High School. “Banda is very popular
in this area of Southern California, and people will pay top dollar
for a banda with a sousaphone player. Now, I have kids coming up to me
saying they want to learn the tuba so they can be in a banda.”

Tubas are not exactly sexy instruments — they are big and awkward and
often obscure the player’s face. But over the last decade, as banda
music has become increasingly popular in Southern California, so has
the tuba.

Raul Campos, a D.J. at the local public radio station KCRW, said that
when he was growing up in Southern California, young Latinos did not
want live 12-person bandas at their parties.

“But banda has really grown,” Mr. Campos said. “It’s like a new, cool
trend with young people. It’s now cool to have a live band with a
tuba, or to be a tuba player.”

As a result, sousaphones have made work in bandas more lucrative. A
banda can make at least $3,000 for a night’s work at a wedding or
quinceañera, said J. D. Salas, who teaches tuba at Steven F. Austin
State University in Texas.

And the tuba player, who is often the leader of the group, usually
gets the largest share.

At first, the thefts were confined to an area of southern Los Angeles
County where there is a large Latino population. In recent months,
however, farther flung schools have also been hit: four brass
sousaphones were stolen in January from Mira Costa High School in
Manhattan Beach, an affluent Los Angeles suburb; and Sycamore Junior
High in Anaheim lost 20 instruments, including all its tubas, in a
theft at the end of December that will cost the school in excess of
$20,000.

The Los Angeles school police did not respond to requests for comment,
but none of the instruments have been recovered.

And wherever the stolen instruments are now, the thefts have left
local marching bands in a lurch. Some schools have secured donations
from local businesses to help replace the missing tubas, but others
have had to borrow instruments from nearby schools, or simply soldier
on without sousaphones.

“It really hurt us for a while, with kids sitting in class not playing
instruments,” said Rich Gordon, the music teacher at Sycamore Junior
High. “And we can’t perform a concert if we don’t have any tubas.”