[Dixielandjazz] Original NOLA jazz: Ice Cream - December Band 1965

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Fri Feb 3 15:00:46 PST 2012

It is near midnight. It is dark and about 10 inch of white crispy snow.
Outside temperature is just around 0 F. It will probably fall more during
this clear sky night. But this clip warmed my heart specially as I  heard
and saw Robinson and Kid Thomas in Preservation Hall 1973. Try it for
yourself

Ulf in Stockholm

www.youtube.com/watch?v=USeT6ykUjBg
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USeT6ykUjBg&feature=related>
&feature=related

Ice Cream - December Band 1965
Even though this is jazz tune in the New Orleans vein, it almost feels that
one doesn't need to listen any more. However this performance was done in an
unique manner. Four famous New Orleans Jazzmen were hired by a Connecticut
Jazz Society and came to play. They played a number of live jazz concerts
and at some time a film was made as well.
The New Orleans men were Kid Thomas Valentine on trumpet, Jim Robinson
trombone, Capt. John Handy alto saxophone and Sammy Penn drums. They were
accompanied by three good locals: Bill Sinclair piano, Dick Griffith banjo
and Dick McCarthy bass. The clarinetist was Sammy Remington, an English
fellow, who made international fame for himself by playing like George
Lewis. The outstanding part is the saxophone solo lasting a few choruses