[Dixielandjazz] Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 3 08:12:39 PST 2012

All good things finally come to an end I guess. We old folks who love
this music and the Cabaret scene just don't get
around much anymore. RIP, Algonquin Room, you had a good run.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

By Stephen Holden, NY TIMES, Feb 2, 2012

End of a Cabaret Era: The Oak Room Is Closed for Good

After a 32-year run, the Oak Room, the fabled supper club and cabaret
at the Algonquin Hotel on West 44th Street in Manhattan, will no
longer operate when the hotel reopens in May after an extensive
renovation, the Algonquin’s general manager, Gary J. Budge, announced
on Thursday. He cited declining audiences in spite of “top-notch
performers.”

In its three decades the Oak Room was the venue of choice for artists
like Andrea Marcovicci, who celebrated her 25th season at the club at
the end of last year, as well as Karen Akers, KT Sullivan, Sandy
Stewart and Bill Charlap, Steve Ross, and Barbara Carroll, who
established a successful Sunday jazz brunch series. The club also gave
important exposure to younger performers like Maude Maggart and Emily
Bergl.