[Dixielandjazz] Billie Holiday interview for CBC Radio

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Dec 25 12:30:24 PST 2012

Here's a link to Billie Holiday's rarely heard interview with Dick McDougall in Toronto.
The date is given as August 16, 1951, but I'm guessing it must be about 1952 as she
speaks of recent recordings she made with Oscar Peterson. I've heard snippets of
it but never the entire interview. She sounds in good spirits and, among other things,
confirms her discovery by John Hammond. She also speaks of Ella, Mildred Bailey,
Billy Eckstine, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, and Paul Whiteman. She claims she was
14 when she recorded "Billie's Blues" in 1936 (she was 21) and that Bessie Smith
was a friend of her mother! Most revealing are her own sensibilities as an artist.
Enjoy -- and happy holidays to you.
http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/12/Billie-Holidays-rarely-heard-1951-interview-for-CBC-Radio

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

"The vote is the instrument and symbol of a free person's power to make a
fool of himself, and a wreck of his country." -Ambrose Bierce