[Dixielandjazz] Woody Herman

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Dec 23 16:35:37 PST 2012

Back in the 60s and 70s when the Musician’s union had some balls, every year they would hire a big band for a big party. One year it was Woody Herman’s band.

I was very disappointed because he had a whole band made up of young musicians playing new, more modern charts. Also had a keyboard that sounded like a keyboard in those years. I wanted to hear the old Woody Herman that I was familiar with on records.

I’d like to be at that concert now as of course through the years my musical taste and understanding has changed. I’m sure I would enjoy the band much more now.

One of my all-time favorites was “Wild Apple Honey.” I don’t know which version it was. I purchased a LP with it one time and it wasn’t the wild version that I had heard on the radio.

Back then in the 60s, there was a Jazz show on all night. On our way home from gigs we’d stop and call the DJ and request that he play that version. It was “Wild.”

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

"The vote is the instrument and symbol of a free person's power to make a
fool of himself, and a wreck of his country." -Ambrose Bierce