[Dixielandjazz] Woody Herman DVD

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Sun Dec 23 13:03:53 PST 2012

I certainly agree with the reviews from the Hartford paper and Steve Voce.  This is a wonderful DVD, as is the one that Graham did on Stan Kenton a couple of years ago.  Graham Carter is a treasure for the jazz community!
I knew Woody pretty well and had all the respect in the world for him.  I would have loved to play on his band, but my own "scheduling" during his life never let that happen.  His early 1960's band is one of my favorites in all my years of listening to big bands.  Of course Stan and Woody were best friends and had much respect for one another.  What the IRS did to him was literally one of the travesties of all time!  For them to hound him for the last part of his life for something that was not really his fault, just goes to show how stupid the IRS really is!!!

Mike Vax
Friends of Big Band Jazz, Prescott Jazz Summit,
Stan Kenton Alumni Band
www.mikevax.net
www.bigbandjazz.net
www.prescottjazz.com