[Dixielandjazz] Happy Holidays to all however you choose to celebrate them or Not !!

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Wed Dec 19 13:26:21 PST 2012

Wishing all our friends and comrades a great Holiday Season and a prosperous healthy New Year.

Tom Wiggins   & da boys in da band.
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band  and often Circus :))

`TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
                                        (slightly revised by Sterling Howard)

'Twas the night before Christmas, whenall through the venue,
Not a creature was stirring, as I lookedthru the menu,
The decorations were hung on the stagewith care,
In hopes that the band members would soonbe there!

My friends and I had been royally fed,
While visions of a good show danced inour heads,
And I in my new suit and the date I justmet,
Had just settled in to watch a four hourset!

When out in a parking lot, there rosesuch a clatter,
I sprang from my seat to see what was thematter,
Away to the door I flew like a flash,
To see a drummer and bassist, completelysmashed!

They were unloading the equipment in thenew-fallen snow,
>From the van, which had traveled all theway from Fargo,
When, what to my wondering eyes shouldappear,
But the rest of the drunken band, allswilling beers!

With a little old manager, so angry andquick,
I knew in a moment it must be Nasty Nick,
More rapid than eagles his curses theycame,
And he bitched, and shouted, and calledthem all names!

"Now, DRUMMER! now, BASSIST! nowKEYBORDS! and TRUMPET!
On GUITARIST! on SAX! on TROMBONE! andVOCALIST!
To the top of the loading ramp!  To the top of the wall!
Get the equipment inside before you allfall!",

And then, in a twinkling, I heard at thedoor,
The slipping and sliding as they fell tothe floor,
As I gave them a hand and was turningaround,
I had to wonder at how they might sound!

The lead singer was dressed in leather,from his head to his feet,
And his clothes looked very slept in, notat all neat,
A bundle of microphones he had flung onhis back,
And he looked like a peddler just openinghis pack!

His eyes - how they twinkled!  I was becoming quite wary,
His cheeks were like roses, his nose likea cherry,
His droll little mouth was drawn up likea bow,
As he took another swing from his bottleof Old Crow!

He was staggering around as the bandtuned up, way off key,
I laughed when I saw him, in spite of me,
With a wink of his eye and a flick of hishand,
The group blasted into a tune by someobscure band!

He sang not a word, but went straight tohis mic,
Hoping he had picked a song the audiencewould like,
Then STOPPED the music just as it wasgetting noisy,
And announced "We're in the wrongclub, we're supposed to be in Boise!"

They jumped back in their van, amidstjeers and whistles,
And away they all flew like the down of athistle,
But I heard them exclaim, ere they droveout of sight,
"HAPPYCHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!"