[Dixielandjazz] Old, but new!

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 13 12:38:33 PST 2012

Phil Wilking wrote [snipped]:
> ...Lord Olivier (probably only a legend)...the play he was in had only one person in the audience...
> Another actor expressed the desire to not bother performing and Lord Olivier said "He paid for his seat and we owe him a performance," and the show went on.

Dear Phil,
There was a similar situation in the 1940s-50s during an Australian tour by Graeme Bell's Jazz Band.
At one little country town there was only one person in the audience, but the band played on, as they they had been booked for the job.
At interval, he was thanked and invited to the pub next to the hall for a quick beer.
When asked did he like the music so far he replied, "Not much, I'm the caretaker and have to put the chairs away when you finish."
Very kind regards,
Bill.