[Dixielandjazz] LA Vintage Revival Bands

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 14:46:23 PST 2012

I recall talking a few years back with the late piano player and leader Don Gibson (Sons of Bix, Al Capone Memorial Jazz Band) after he retired to Portland.

He said, “You know what's the difference between dixieland music fans in 1925 and today? When today's older crowds come to a jazz festival, they expect to hear old music, played in the same old way. In 1925, if you went to hear Louis Armstrong, you wanted to hear new music; music composed yesterday, and performed in a way to surprise and delight you."

So let's hope that the kids in LA are doing just that.

Personally, I enjoyed the Vaud and Villans video. I liked the girls dancing in bustieres, but I can't remember exactly why any more....

Rick Campbell
Milneburg Social Aid and Pleasure Society Jazz Band
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net