[Dixielandjazz] Vocals - the more the better

Dick Parks dparks999 at verizon.net
Sat Aug 25 12:22:19 PDT 2012

Our Not-So-Modern-Jazz Quartet (plus a couple) has played at one venue for
15 years now.   The place is a non-smoking coffee joint with food, no table
service.  The audience is maybe half regulars and half walk-ins with kids.
The more tunes we sing, the better the applause.  We play a mix if dixieland
and the 20s - 30s songbook.   And it doesn't matter if the vocalists are
trained, so along as they're close to the tune and hold the rhythm.
I've heard that the old-timers who kept the lyrics in mind always said they
soloed better.
And somebody needs to play a straight lead at least twice during a tune.
Just sayin' -

Dick Parks