[Dixielandjazz] Two tunes for "Everything He Does Just Pleases Me"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 27 18:23:54 PDT 2012

Bruce Stangeland wrote:
> While doing some research on the tune "Everything He Does Just Pleases Me" which appears in the Anderson collection (page. 4454), I happened to find another song with the same title <http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/metsnav/inharmony/navigate.do?oid=http://fedora.dlib.indiana.edu/fedora/get/iudl:48604/METADATA&pn=1&size=screen> at the Indiana University digital archives.
> The one from Anderson was written in 1916 by Artie Matthews (author of Weary Blues).
> The one from Indiana University was copyrighted in 1914 by Russell Smith.
> Matthews' chorus stars out: "Ev-'ry-thing He Does Just Pleas-es Me. He's my an-gel child. Suits me to a "T"."
> Smith's chorus starts out: "Ev-'ry-thing He Does Just Pleas-es Me. He cert-'nly suits my taste just to a "T".

Dear Bruce,
Very interesting.
Matthews version, published by Stark, was his last ragtime/popular music composition before he left that music scene.
But does seem to be too much of a coincidence.
Have you been able to compare the tunes from the sheet music?
I found a midi of the Smith version at:
   http://www.pitt-payne.com/midi-downloads.html?func=showdown&id=4565
plus several sheet music sites with downloads of both versions.
As you will have already done.
Very kind regards,
Bill.