[Dixielandjazz] Train and Miles

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Aug 25 20:20:06 PDT 2012

Steve Barbone wrote:

Bob Ringwald commented that he enjoyed the soft side of Coltrane. Here are a couple
of more tunes for Bob and perhaps others, with Trane that are interesting:

Coltrane & Miles Davis "Squeeze Me" Here Trane is evolving, but still lyrical in
my ears. And the group is swinging mightily, in the pocket, as i hear it. (Trane,
Miles, Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK7S150Ix8g

While I don’t care for Miles’ playing here, Trane is still playing melodically with a good tone and good ideas.
And unlike the Ellington recording, the drummer Jones is playing appropriately with brushes. Even when he switches to sticks, he is not “Building a house.”

Steve continues:
Wonderful examples , IMO, of how jazz evolves from earlier forms. Neither one of
the above is Dixieland, but they are certainly OKOM, no?
Not to beat a dead horse, but lets give John Coltrane his due. He knew how to play.
Not too different an evolution from that of Pablo Picasso who knew how to paint.
And both still have command of an audience. Those examining Picasso's art, or Trane's
music might consider that both knew exactly what they were doing and need neither
praise nor criticism because they were not doing it specifically for you. His "Love
Supreme" was for a higher purpose.

As long as this is a free country, I will criticize whom I want. In this case, as Coltrane progressed, if that is what you want to call it, I did not like his playing.

Steve continues:

Those in the San Francisco Bay area who are interested in Coltrane's legacy might
visit the Church of St John Coltrane at 1286 Fillmore Street. Or go to the website
at:
http://coltranechurch.org/index.html

Thanks, but I’d rather visit the Church of Louis Armstrong.

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio Operator K6YBV
916/ 806-9551

The crime of taxation is not in the taking of it. It's in the way it's spent.
--Will Rogers March 20, 1932