[Dixielandjazz] Why Americans Don't Like Jazz

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sat Aug 25 17:24:25 PDT 2012

As jazz music progressed from the early days of Louis Armstrong, Bix, Jelly
Roll and others, the music was not very complex and the variations on those
melodies were fairly easy to follow - listeners understood, at a their
level, what was happening. As the more and more musicians entered the jazz
market, there were some new complexities added to the solos as musicians
tried to add something novel to the music. Still, many listeners could
follow these changes.

When Charlie Parker, Diz, and Monk entered the scene, they took the music to
quite a different place - many listeners refused to follow for one reason of
another. Despite that, there were still enough listeners who accepted be-bop
to maintain a healthy audience.

As jazz continued to evolve, many in the audience dropped out. The effort to
understand where the music was going was too much... it sounded alien
compared to the early days.

Where was the melody hidden? Was there any melody?
Did it take a music degree to follow along?

Where was that simple beauty of yesterday?

Where was that tap-your-toe swing?

Stan
Stan Brager