[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: "Why Americans Don't Like Jazz"-

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:11:19 PDT 2012

Joan McGinnis of Mission Viejo, CA  retired teacher and serious amateur
multi-instrumentalist comments.

To me it isn't "music" unless there is a melody that can be hummed or
whistled.

Here goes the reference to John Coltrane in the original article!
Melody?  Come on!

Perhaps the lack of popularity of jzz is due to the Cotranes of this
world?  Had I first heard THAT as "jazz," I'd have never listened
again!  And too many people hvae told me that they didn't like jazz,
but included "Dixieland" among the types of music they did like!  And
Benny Goodman, too.  Just that the radio jazz programmes (yes, that
was before internet) would make one think that jazz started with Miles
Davis and/or Coltrane, or Ornette Coleman.

I kn ow htere are listmates who don't agree, but since this issue has
been discussed ad nauseam, I am not going to get involved in any
disputes thereof.

Cheers

P.S.
Have just watched the Dixieland Crackejacks TV programme.  Very nice,
except for the introductory music and the music towards the end.

I find I either concentrate on the words OR the instrumentation.
There is nothing wrong with "background" music UNLESS you want to
concentrate, and that might even be the "holistic" effect of what's being
played.

Joán