[Dixielandjazz] keys

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Aug 19 08:05:06 PDT 2012

Bob Smith wrote:
>Parts for the trombone written in Bb are mostly English brass band parts
written in the treble clef, and some European parts written in Bb in the
bass clef.

Thanks to Bob Smith & others for correcting me on the trombone being written
in Bb issue.  "Wrong" was not the correct word to use, then, if looking at
the instrument from the Brass Bands angle. Obviously I have had little
experience with British Brass Bands!

I do stand by my statement that it makes sense to have one lead sheet
floating around a bandstand...that is, one key only & one clef.  If everyone
can read in "C piano", then there is no danger of folks reading the wrong
chart.

Reminds me of my days in the recording sessions in Spain where a director
would normally speak to each instrument in his own key, but there was always
the question "are you speaking in C or in Bb", etc.?  During my "band days"
in the U.S. the director always spoke to the entire band in C.
No confusion.

Jim