[Dixielandjazz] Lets expose the mjusic

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:28:24 PDT 2012

One of the things I liked so much about the Breda Jazz Festival
(sadly, not longer the Oude Stijl Jazz Festival) was that so much
music was played outdoors, for all to hear.  True, tha many stages too
close to each other caused sound overlap, but enabled several
generations to enjoy music together: grandparents, parents and
children.  And even four generations.  Some only had a glimpse waloing
by; others, however, stopped and stayed.  And the little kids had a
ball, dancing around like mad!  I am using the past tense, as I have
not been there since 2005, and things might have changes, although I
doubt it.
That way, kids get exposure to OKOM (and other types of music), and
even if they won't start their Armstrong or Ellington collections,
they at least will not be scard away by a mention of a Dixieland or a
swing band!
Of course, that kind of thing requires sponsors - after all, musicians
must be accomodated, fed and paid.
I have fond memories from Breda - I heard some great musicians there;
inter alia, that's where I was first exposed to listmated Itzes'
excellent band.
Cheers