[Dixielandjazz] Tuba Skinny & Other Young Bands (Re: to Bob)

Fuzzy fuzzymail at fuzzyjazz.com
Mon Aug 6 14:35:51 PDT 2012

Hi Bob,

As mentioned by a few others, Tuba Skinny is closely related to another
great group, the Loose Marbles.  Busking the streets of New Orleans, and
other cities.  Tuba Skinny's CDs tend to have an early country feel to them
(my opinion).  The young lady playing trumpet in Tuba Skinny (Shaye) used to
play (mostly) keyboard for Loose Marbles, but then she and Ben Polcer would
trade places, and she'd play cornet/trumpet, and he'd play piano.  Kiowa
Wells (Tuba Skinny guitarist/vocalist) busted out some great vocals when I
saw him playing Washington Square Park with the Loose Marbles in 2008.  A
great guest singer with the Marbles was Alynda (of Hurray for the Riff Raff
band.)  Meschiya Lake was a featured vocalist for the Loose Marbles for a
few years.  (Amazing voice.)  All of these folks are amongst the "young"
(20s-30s) exceptional talent pool.

Hearing Alynda sing "Gotta Give Me Some" with the Marbles at Fritzel's is
still one of the greatest live vocal experiences of my life!  The easy lilt
to her voice and amazing tone had me sitting gap-mouthed (and I was never
really fond of vocals before.)  Sadly, I've found no recorded examples of
her work which demonstrate that live performance sound. (Though a far-off
vocal can be heard during the second verse of Pallet on Your Floor / Atlanta
Blues here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Knb2Bz6poE )

I've closely followed Tuba Skinny, the Loose Marbles, and The New Orleans
Moonshiners since roughly 2007, and while all different - they take the
music out where the people and (perhaps more importantly) the children are
able to hear and appreciate this great music.  They take the music out of
the locked high-price festival venues, out of the age-restricted bars, and
out onto the street where kids can be exposed to the sounds we all love so
dearly.  I love these groups and what they are doing for the future of the
music! (Yes, I suppose "Gotta Give Me Some" is best kept in the bars  ;)   )

All too often it seems that after we've locked the music into the "high
cupboard" - out of the reach of kids; we ask ourselves why more kids aren't
following the music.  Fortunately, groups like the Loose Marbles, Tuba
Skinny, and New Orleans Moonshiners (among others) have understood this and
are changing the paradigm.  Music isn't just something to ATTEND at a
special venue...it is something that happens around us - in our towns, and
it can be part of the community.

I often read the biographies/auto-biographies of musicians I admire.  Nearly
every single story details a young future great, having had an up-close
personal experience with the music.  I.e. hearing a neighbor playing,
hearing music on the street, watching the parade bands, hearing the music
coming from the clubs, hearing the musicians warming up in the alley, etc.
My opinion is: this doesn't happen today, because the music is locked up in
child-proof venues.

I appreciate the great efforts taken by all of those in the music community
to expose kids to the music we all love...I know this is not exclusive to
the Marbles, Tuba Skinny, and/or the New Orleans Moonshiners, that it is
also evident in many of the associations and wonderful "trad" societies
around the globe.  I just love the simple, direct method used by these young
groups.  They are directly taking the music out to the people instead of
asking people to come to the music - they bring a fresh (old) technique to
the music business.

I own all of the CDs released by Tuba Skinny, The New Orleans Moonshiners,
and The Loose Marbles...but nothing (and I mean NOTHING) can match the
wonderful live performance experience given by these fine groups!  Truly
great entertainers!!

My two cents:  perhaps (instead of getting these young folks INTO festivals)
we should encourage the "festival few" to leave the festivals and go back
into communities and play in the town squares where the kids will get to
hear them.

Warmest Regards,
Fuzzy Snook

PS:  Another young group that some might enjoy is the Smoking Time Jazz Club