[Dixielandjazz] Benny Carter

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Apr 29 08:10:09 PDT 2012

Hi Don et al,

I was lucky enough to get to know Benny Carter in the 1980s (through playing with him in 1984 and contracting him as composer-in-residence when I ran the inaugural Glasgow International Jazz Festival in 1987) and spent a fascinating day with Hilda and him at his home in the early 1990s.

His music studio had a small upright piano for writing arrangements, stacks of books, records, tapes, awards etc and an open trumpet case on the table, but no sign of a saxophone. When I asked about this, he replied that he rarely practised on the alto (usually only ahead of an important gig or recording session), but he played trumpet every day if possible. He went on to say that, given his time over again, he'd concentrate on trumpet. In his usual modest, self-effacing way, he said he found sax came to him easily, but he really had to think when he played trumpet, so he found it more of a challenge. We talked for a bit about trumpeters he admired - a very long list - but he confided that Bill Coleman was a particular favourite, although he was in complete awe of Louis Armstrong, not just for his phenomenal gifts as a trumpeter, singer and entertainer, but also for his remarkable personality. Benny said he never met anyone with more personality in his entire life. If Louis walked into a room, no matter who was there, everyone wanted to talk to him and he lit up any company he found himself in.

Benny's own trumpet playing was usually measured, tasteful, articulate and accurate, but there's an interesting recording of him guesting with Gene Krupa's Band in an airshot from 1941 (if I remember correctly) at Meadowbrook Ballroom playing his own arrangement of Rockin' Chair. For once, he plays to the gallery and delivers a phenomenal bravura display of powerhouse trumpet playing, complete with high note ending. It's worth seeking out for its demonstration of why Dizzy Gillespie once said "Benny's bands always had great trumpet sections, but the best trumpeter in Benny's bands was usually Benny himself."

Incidentally, Benny's commission piece for the 1987 Glasgow Jazz Festival, a 5-part suite, has never been published or commercially recorded. A copy of the score was retained for use by the Strathclyde Youth Jazz Orchestra as part of Benny's contract, however it disappeared and only turned up relatively recently in the library of the Strathclyde University. I had access to it and reduced the big band chart for a line-up of tpt, tbn, 4 saxes and 3 rhythm, which my band recorded with English alto-sax star Alan Barnes as featured guest. It came out on Alan's Woodville label and has had wonderful reviews world-wide, but my biggest thrill has been to rescue from oblivion an example of Benny's great writing talent. Sorry about the shameless plug!

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson