[Dixielandjazz] Pickpockets

Allan Brown allanbrown at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Apr 29 04:01:07 PDT 2012

Great story Pat,

When I was a young man I spent a summer working at a holiday resort in Pennsylvania. On a weekend break I headed off to the Big Apple to meet a pal. On leaving Central Park I was in an underpass when two intimidating guys stopped me and asked whether I wanted to buy some crack. I politely declined and was then asked if I had any money. Although I had a few dollars on me I really didn't want to be left with nothing as I was some way away from where I was trying to get to. The guys were most concerned that I was a foreigner in New york with no money, so they insisted I take a handful of change in order that I could make a phone call and get my friend to meet me. They insisted I take it, and I couldn't help but feel I'd mugged them! It was very sweet of them and it totally overturned any prejudices that I'd previously held.

All the best,

Allan