[Dixielandjazz] Jazz, tires and the young

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Sat Apr 28 15:38:53 PDT 2012

Hi y'All,

Just got home from a corporate gig chez Michelin. I play for Michelin at
least a half dozen times a year. Their corporate headquarters are here
in Clermont-Ferrand. The event tonight was their annuel 'students day'
which is half PR event and half recruiting event. Each year, around the
end of the school year, Michelin proposes a challenge to the
technical/engineering schools in France and the schools that accept the
challenge face off in a competition on the Michelin property here. This
year, the challenge was to construct a one person vehicle that would go
the farthest with one liter of fuel. The participants were lodged and
fed on site and they had full access to the Michelin factories for any
construction needs they may have had after their arrival. They also had
access to the Michelin race track where Formula 1 tires are tested.

Michelin spent a small fortune on the event and, in return, they got a
whole lot of very cool press and got to scout some very imaginative
future engineers that may end up as Michelin employees. We played for
the 'last night' banquet where all the teams were united for a closing
night 'good luck' bash. The actual competition in tomorrow morning and
Monday, everyone is back in school.

We had a great time. There were 350 'kids' between 18 and 25 years old
and when they saw me pull out my tuba, many started to giggle. But, when
we started to play, everyone had a great time. The house rocked. We sold
quite a number of CDs and we had countless younguns have their pictures
taken with us.

We have a 'camera crowd pleaser' that turned out to be a problem
tonight. When we see someone taking a photo of the group, a front line
muso that may not be soloing at a given moment will signal to NOT take
the photo. He then exchanges his instrument for the camera, places the
once-photographer-now-'musician' in the front line of the band and takes
a photo of the group with the audience member in his place. This was a
hit tonight and it caused us problems. So many of these young engineers
wanted their photo taken with the group that we weren't able to play. We
had to excuse ourselves and say that we would not take anymore photos
with instruments. They continued to come in numbers and have a friend
take photos with their cameras.

All that to say, jazz is far from dead here in Europe, or at least, here
in France. When we finished, every member of the band had young
techno-talents that also play music for fun, talking to them about the
music we play and how to learn to play like that. We didn't force
anything on them. They came to us. They loved what we played and they
want to play like us. I talked with a 19 year old future engineer that
plays tuba in a community wind ensemble for fun that never heard jazz
and/or funky tuba live before. He was enthusiastic to learn to play like
me (a form of flattery that just cannot be equaled anywhere), and wanted
one of our CDs but didn't have the money. The lad touched me with his
enthusiasm so I slipped him a free CD and told him not to tell anyone.
What was I supposed to do? What a great night and I am generally bored
at corporate events.

Ok, that is all. I just wanted to let you know how I spent my evening.

All the best, Gary

Gary Kiser
34, rue du Président Wilson
63100 Clermont-Ferrand