[Dixielandjazz] Question About Emmet Ray, Sweet And Low Down

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Apr 27 23:46:28 PDT 2012

I finally got to watch the film last night. I’ve seen bits and pieces on TV but got the disc from Netflix. What great music in the film and Sean Penn was great!

I am curious about Emmit Ray. Seems as if I saw some discussion of him on DJML some time ago?

Was there ever a musician named Emmet Ray?

In the film, he seemed to be sort of a combination of several musicians who because of their fixation on music, were a bit weird.

Some of his mannerisms reminded me of Jelly Roll Morton.

If any list mates have not seen the film, by all means, do so.

--Bob Ringwald