[Dixielandjazz] Stardust Written By Lucky Roberts?

Steve Heist steveheist at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 17 05:37:54 PDT 2012

Hi all,
I once played a gig down in St. Petersburg, Fla. and met two men who told me
this interesting story...
They claim that they were at a party (obviously, years ago), somewhere in
Indiana, that Hoagy attended.  At one point during the party they say a
school teacher sat down at the piano and played a song that he had written.
They related that Hoagy seemed VERY interested and went over to the piano
player and had him play the song over and over.  These two guys SWORE to me
that this teacher had written Stardust, not Hoagy.  Their claim was that
Hoagy merely "lifted" it.
Looking at the chord structure of Stardust, and the rest of Hoagy's
compositions (New Orleans, Up a Lazy River, etc.), Hoagy used simple chord
changes in most of his songs (ie. circle of fifths) whereas Stardust is a
complete departure from any routine chord changes!  I have a feeling their
story is credible, especially since they had NOTHING to gain by relating the
story!  We will probably never know...
ALL the Best,
Steve