[Dixielandjazz] Frank Sinatra - The Voice and MORE

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 15 17:03:42 PDT 2012

> "J. D. Bryce" <brycejd at comcast.net> wrote (Polite snip)
>
> It wasn't just, "The Voice." Sinatra's diction and phrasing were
> perfect.
> Each note (and the word with that note) was where it belonged and was
> totally believable.  People heard Sinatra and believed the lyrics he
> sang.
> In addition, no one ever caught him breathing when he sang. Luciano
> Pavarotti once claimed his favorite singer was Sinatra because, "You
> can't
> hear him breathing." Legend says he learned that from Tommy Dorsey.

Yessir Jack.

As you say, it was a lot more than the voice. Besides what you mention
the man had a charisma that is rarely matched by other singers. (or
bands)  I think anyone who saw him perform in person, especially close
up, will attest to their thinking that he was singing directly to
them, as individuals. He had a way of engaging each of us, as if WE
were special. He connected.

I'll never forget the wife of a jazz musician friend of mine who said;
" there is only one other man in the world that could make me be
unfaithful to my husband and that's Frank Sinatra. He said, "I don't
blame you and would be OK with it." They've been happily married for
60 years now.

Yes, IMO, Sinatra had IT.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone