[Dixielandjazz] Frank Sinatra

J. D. Bryce brycejd at comcast.net
Sat Apr 14 20:41:37 PDT 2012

It wasn't just, "The Voice." Sinatra's diction and phrasing were perfect.
Each note (and the word with that note) was where it belonged and was
totally believable.  People heard Sinatra and believed the lyrics he sang.
In addition, no one ever caught him breathing when he sang. Luciano
Pavarotti once claimed his favorite singer was Sinatra because, "You can't
hear him breathing." Legend says he learned that from Tommy Dorsey.

It didn't matter how fast the tune went, the listener could understand every
word of the lyrics.

Sinatra was a singular artist. Along with Ella Fitzgerald and perhaps Billy
Holiday, the quintessential perveyors of the American song artform.
We could also add Tony Bennett andJo Stafford to that short list.

These artists served the song...clearly, articulately and with heartfelt
emotion.

Whenever I play a melody on sax or clarinet, I try to phrase it as they did.
Not in immitation, but as a tribute to the song.

Jack Bryce