[Dixielandjazz] 6th Chords

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Wed Apr 11 08:56:49 PDT 2012

Tim Shaw wrote:<polite snip>
If the intervals between the notes are the same (eg diminished chords) it doesn't
make any difference to the sound which note is in the bassline, but most chords are
assymetric
==========
>From Al: These sounds are not suggested for Trad or Okom.
I'll suggest what I consider a neat trick
Play any diminished chord but use a half step below any of the notes of that
chord in the bass line and have a (whatever you  picked) flat 9th.
Example: C dim. (C Eb F# A) with a B root or D or F or Ab.
==============
Tim:
For example, a last inversion of a C major chord (G in the bass) sounds almost as much like a dominant (G) chord as tonic (C) chord A lot of Ellington's stuff sounded wrong to some people because he was fond of doing unorthodox things like building chords on 9ths or even major 7ths in the bassline.
===============
Al: (Ellington inversions etc)
When I was in my teens it took me months to figure out what Pete Rugolo
used for the first chord of "Sorrento" - Stan Kenton recording. You should listen
to it. I finally figured it out. C minor the tonic or I (key) chord with the Major 7th
on the bottom. Not bad on piano but give to a brass section and the earth trembles.
Add Vido Musso's growly tenor improvising above it and...
If you are not familiar with the arrangement here is a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOORJDYZnI
Enjoy or hate it,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com