[Dixielandjazz] 6th Chords

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 13:55:08 PDT 2012

My two cents is that if it sounds good, it is good.

For a harmonic treat, listen to Monk's Misterioso, circa 1957, at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb5G3cHObXo

Go to full screen and see the music. The right hand melody is walking
6ths (up and down 6ths). But the underlying left hand chords are
almost all, if not all, 7ths.

If it sounds as good to you as it does to me, it is good.

As an aside, I was told back then that Monk wrote this tune because
someone said to him you should NEVER emphasize the 6th in Jazz. Monk
being who he was, instead of arguing the point, wrote the tune. He
always said that as soon as you say something can't be done, or
shouldn't be done, someone will come along and do it. So if the tune
sounds like a lesson to some, it is.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband