[Dixielandjazz] 6th Chords

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Apr 10 12:30:37 PDT 2012

Robert Ringwald wrote"

> I respectfully disagree [with those who say that it's OK
> for the guitar/banjo to play a C chord if the lead sheet
> shows c6]. If it is a good arrangement, written by a good
> arranger and it calls for a 6th chord, play it. If it is difficult,
> practice until you can hit it. A 6th can add a really nice
> flavor to the sound.

If it's a written-out arrangement, then I agree with Bob. (But this raises
the old debate of "real improvised jazz" vs. "reading charts that aren't
improvised but sound like jazz.")

If it's a lead sheet, then I stand by my earlier opinion -- the sixth is
usually in the melody, so the rhythm section doesn't have to play it. If the
soloist's improvisation doesn't include the sixth at that point, the
harmonic function will not be impaired by omitting the sixth from a guitar
or banjo chord.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers
Tuba, Ted Shafer's Jelly Roll Jazz Band
Tuba, The Delta Flyers
Principal Tuba, South Valley Symphony Orchestra
Eb Bass & Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band