[Dixielandjazz] Lee Blair - was Mundell Lowe etc.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 8 08:41:17 PDT 2012

>  Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote (polite snip)

> Now. On "Frankie and Johnny" only, does anyone else hear the
> distinctive banjo beat of the left-handed Lee Blair?
> The regular member of the DeParis group at that time.
> He is not on screen on the clips we have, but must have augmented
> the band for this one number.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

Like you and Ginny, I hear it, having seen and admired  Blair about 50
times with De Paris at Jimmy Ryan's in the 1950s.

But I am still wondering if indeed it is not Mundell Lowe who is
listed as the banjo player on this clip. See below. #2 just below the
half way mark of  the listing of this entire series.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.natlib.jots.200019675/mets.xml

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband