[Dixielandjazz] Plunger, Tricky Sam Nanton

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 03:07:49 PDT 2012

Hi Tim,
I'm pretty sure Steve didn't mean the handkerchief/valve literal.He meant it as an example as a musician not wanting to show the world his tricks.Things like that are not uncommon in Ellington's world, like Cat Anderson never wanting to show other trumpetters his mouthpiece, and Hodges grumbling that other sax players should stay out of his kitchen.That last remark one also should not read literal!
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma