[Dixielandjazz] Plunger, Tricky Sam Nanton

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sat Apr 7 14:03:32 PDT 2012

I was always interested in the fact that one could confirm that the
Ellington band was miming to a 1940s Soundie (I think it was C Jam Blues)
by the fact that Nanton was audibly doing the two-mute growl, but on
screen was using simply the plunger with no mute inside the bell.
Maybe Tricky was emulating King Oliver's technique of having a
handerchief over the valves so that people would find it more difficult
to copy his playing?
Steve Voce