[Dixielandjazz] Riverwalk Jazz: The Rise and Fall of King Oliver

Donald Mopsick dmopsick at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 08:08:34 PDT 2012

DJML:

Sorry for being so late with this week's show post. Only a few more
weeks before the endangered bass fiddle season folds in SW FL USA,
make hay while the sun...etc.

You have until Thursday at noon Eastern to hear the King Oliver show.
Many of you have heard this one or tunes from it many times before.
Personnel: JCJB 1992 (Jim, Brian Ogilvie, Mike Pittsely, John
Sheridan, Howard Elkins, Don Mopsick, Ed Torres) with Leon Oakley and
Mike Walbridge (I got to do Canal St. Blues as kind of a duet w/
Mike). I'm reasonably sure that this is one of Jim Cullum's favorite
shows. Added Xtra Bonus: the great William Warfield reads King
Oliver's letters to his sister, following an arch (more like a
rocket's parabola) of success, then poverty, obscurity and illness.

Because of Oliver's crash and burn, not nearly as much is known about
him in the general public, except for us geeks. You know who you are.
Let the Oliver posts begin.

Don't know who King Oliver was? Here's a start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Oliver

mopo

--
http://about.me/donmopsick