[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Sep 30 02:13:22 PDT 2011

Marek Boym wrote:
> Further to my original posting - the Bechet number was "C'est a moi de payer" (It's My Turn to Pay).  A familiar number, but I find
> remembering the French titles difficult.

Dear Marek,
I cannot find this title in my files, but suggest that it may be the Sidney Bechet composition "A Moi De Payer (The Payoff)".
He recorded it at a Paris concert in December 1954 and again in February 1955.
You may have it somewhere on a Vogue LP (or CD reissue).
Apart from Australian bands, it was also recorded by Monty Sunshine and Cy Laurie in the UK.
It became a favourite with Oz jazz clarinet players from the early 1960s following the 'hit parade' success single by the Ray Price Quartet with clarinetist Johnny McCarthy.
(That version is currently on a CD produced by DJMLer, Jack Mitchell.)
The tune is in our band's repertoire as a feature for listmate Jack Wiard.
Very kind regards,
Bill.