[Dixielandjazz] dave bennet hot club sabdwich

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 25 13:55:25 PDT 2011

One of the great things about being a CD reviewer is the occasional discovery.
Or it was when I reviewed on a regular basis.

In comparison with other listmates I came relatively late to Frank Chace and Kim Cusack, though Dave Bennett came along young amd stood out in comparison with the by no means negligible performers in whose company I first heard him on CD.   Delighted to find reminders and updates here/

I was wondering about the approximately Oregon area ensemble called Hot Club Sandwich which I reviewed quite a time ago.

www.popmatters.com/pm/review/hot-club-sandwich-green-room

Four or five years ago I was challenged, when I let some people hear items from their CD, that I was kidding and that band couldn't possibly be from less than so many decades ago (before everybody bar I think one of the players on their CD Green Room  was born, I think).  I have come across reference to a NZ band who were just not the same as the band whose CD I reviewed -- if anybody knows about the band in question, they deserve a mention here, and anybody who doesn't know them might also be impressed. A Django band expanded in various directions, and with a spark all too few can raise.

I have to recommend good things. One of my friends on the continent is a musicians' agent, and one of his former clients is very well known internationally (though to my pal he remains the pain in the etc..). Due to my friend's reluctance to continue with the pain he had lots of copies of CDs by the pain in question, and gave me a handful. And I would pass one on to this friend and that, and that friend and this would later on thank me and tell me that they had played the CD for friends of theirs, and these friends had gone out and bought their own copies and I seem to have started a little rising wave of sales of this CD by the pain in the .....,  in very large part because his then former agent had wearied of the creature and severed links and got rid of all his stock of sample CDs.
With a sigh of relief.  Write your own moral to that one.

Robert