[Dixielandjazz] Skip Layton?

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Sat Sep 24 12:40:50 PDT 2011

I sent a inquiry to the trombone list re: the history of Philip "Skip" Layton, a trombonist on the Kenton band in the middle 40's, he also appeared on a Billie Holiday song Traveling Light.  One person indicated to me that when Layton left the Kenton band he did some touring, did studio work in LA,  and ended up in Vegas, passing away in the early 70's  I know that many on the dixie list have deep data base re: musicians of that era,  can anyone bring me up to date re: the remainder of this guys life.  His high end chops were unbelievable  and am just curious as I have been reading Stan Kenton, The Studio Sessions by Michael Sparke and Peter Venudor and have been listening to the Kenton band of that era, which has introduced me to a deeper understanding of that band.  Dixie content, there was a trombonist by the name of Philip "Skip" Layton playing in a dixie band in Elmira NY sometime during the last 20 or so years.  Does anyone know if that was the same guy?  The band has a web site but no email addresses are listed.
Thanks
Randy Fendrick
Southside Chicago Seven