[Dixielandjazz] Hearing loss.

Jack Vincken climax at idirect.com
Fri Sep 23 06:52:08 PDT 2011

A short reply to the hearing loss posting. I have played and still do, in Dixieland bands and have always been
standing or sitting with the drummer on my left side. The culprit, that cost me my hearing in my left ear, is the
ride cymbal, which most of the time, was at my ear level. The sound pressure coming from the side of the
cymbal is very very high. If you are in this spot, move or wear ear protection, you can't fix your ear.
Jack Vincken, Climax Jazz Band. Toronto.