[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Georgia Brown

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 10:23:19 PDT 2011

Pat Ladd wrote:

> I have no doubt that the guy COULD play a dixie beat in the same way that
> Louis COULD have played the stuff that Marsalis was playing. It was just
> that their backgrounds and therefore theirsense of  HOW to play were
> different.

Hi Pat,
That's why I'm suggesting Catlett as a way into the earlier styles of jazz
which would be more readily understood by someone coming from the more
modern end of jazz. If he then wants to explore further back, he's got an
ideal start-point to go back to Zutty (Catlett's major early influence) and
others. To my ear, Catlett's playing summarised everything that had gone
before (to the end, he remained a master of the press roll behind soloists
and ensembles, even if he used it more sparingly), and he pointed the way
forward to a different conception of the drummer's role in rhythm sections
and solos. It was by studying Catlett that I found a way of playing in
Dixieland bands that was compatible with my conception of time. I had been
listening more to players like Max Roach, Philly Joe etc and had been trying
to get that urgent *front-of-the-beat* attack which they had. It was only
after hearing Sid that I realised where they (and most of their generation
of drummers) had got it from. It was an older musician in one of the bands I
played in as a teenager who recognised my dilemma and lent me his Symphony
Hall LPs

> For instance this drummers skins were tight as murder and the sound was
> very `bright`,

That's probably because he was playing in a *modern* setting when you heard
him. Drum tuning is a very personal thing and I happen to prefer a crisp,
bright sound off the kit, but sometimes tune the toms and bass drum down
slightly when playing in an older style, especially if the room's accoustics
make that sound more appropriate.

> If you think that the whole of  the Marsalis clip of SGB was `driving`
> then we are obviously a long way apart in our view of OKOM as I consider
> that it stopped driving when Marsalis picked up his horn and stopped
> everything dead in its tracks.

MKOM is anything played in time, in tune, with skill, imagination, energy
and passion, and that goes for classical, latin, pipe bands, Scottish
Country Dancing (!), flamenco, jazz of all varieties etc which use a
swinging time feel (I'm not interested in most rock-based jazz performances
as I believe it's the swinging time feel more than anything else that
distinguishes jazz from other musical forms employing improvisation). In the
Marsalis clip, I disagree that it stopped swinging when the drummer came
in - it was just a different type of swing. I also didn't hear anything
particularly alarming about Marsalis's playing. He was simply playing the
way he plays and some of that odd *across-the-beat* phrasing in his solo had
its genesis in Louis and Earl Hines' version of Weatherbird Rag.

I'm off now before I'm branded a heretic!

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson