[Dixielandjazz] Local, Unknown, Overlooked (was Dick Ruedbusch)

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 10:46:37 PDT 2011

Ruedebusch was on the cusp of becoming legendary on the world stage. Had he
 lived longer, he would have been.

It's similar with many of us who chose to live in non-major markets as a
lifestyle choice. Just because they're not in California or New York, or even
 Chicago, does not mean phenomenal players like Dick and those who played
with  him don't exist.

There are many players, like those with Ruedebusch, and I do humbly
consider myself among them, who, had we lived elsewhere, would be consistently
playing with the best, well-known bands, with top billing at all the major
jazz  festivals, etc.

Chuck Hedges was an exception to the rule. He established himself with
certain Chicago people who took him elsewhere.

As for me, I've been content doing whatever comes my way and I love living
here in Wisconsin. Now that I've finally become an empty nester (as of two
weeks  ago), the thought of doing more festivals and hired gun work
interests me, but  two things conflict with that interest.

1. The lack of really good bands to play with. Yea, unfortunately, most of
them I hear are really tired old dogs.

2. Festivals are beginning to fade away.

So, looks like I'll be content, for the most part, with playing with really
 awesome musicians locally, that most of the world will never hear, with
some  really kick-ass bands. Unfortunately, most are not trad, and I AM trad
starved.  :(

However, if you happen to be down the way of the Sea of Cortez, I will be
doing a jazz festival there the weekend of October 7 & 8 with Gary Church  &
Joe Hopkins. Come & say hi.

Bill
414-777-0100
BilllSargent.com

In a message dated 9/21/2011 8:53:16 A.M. Central Daylight Time,