[Dixielandjazz] Sweet Georgia Brown

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 20 03:02:52 PDT 2011

Hi Bill,

It has never really struck me so forcibly before how steeped we are in our
OWN kind of music.  The change of idiom between the violin and guitar
section and the Marsalis led section in the Sweet Georgia clip brought it
into focus..

I was talking to the drummer in a very highly skilled but modernish quartet
recently. When I said that I played dixieland drums he said `I can`t play
that stuff I like it and I have tried but there is so much background,
clichés and accepted riffs that I am not aware of.` this from a guy who had
produced some beautiful breaks.  I realised then that even had I been as
technically gifted as that drummer I could not have played his breaks, it
would just not have occurred to me to phrase things as he did.
I think perhaps this is the same with the Marsalis clip. Louis COULD have
played those notes but he WOULD NOT because it would not have occurred to
him to play them that way.

Perhaps we should just accept that there are different strokes.

I still dont like it though

Pat

In professorial mode.