[Dixielandjazz] To Those Who Dislike Jazz Banjo

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 17 13:17:24 PDT 2011

Hi Elazar,

Thanks for the good news!

I'm still regretting I started this original thread with a defensive  tone.
 What I really wanted to achieve was to explain to any on the list  who did
not know is that the banjo has never had the possible benefit of being
presented to the world as a "serious" instrument with a formal pedagogy
available beginning in one's youth and continuing to an advanced  level.  Nor has
banjo ever been available for advanced academic study  with only a one
person exception that I know about.  When one  majors in performance in college
there has to be a professor available with both  the academic credentials and
the instrument proficiency necessary.

Cynthia Sayer told me early this summer that she was finding a number of
twenty-something adults in the NYC area again interested in banjo.   And
sometimes musicians such as Don Vappie gravitate to the banjo along with  their
other instruments because as he says, "It's a funky  instrument."

The other day I was having an informal talk with the younger kids in  my
band about why they liked playing banjo.  I was pleased with the range  of
answers:
"Because I like music.
Because it's fun.
Because I can be unique by playing it.
My friends think I'm cool because I can play banjo.
Because I like learning the associated history."

These are kids ages 8 - 12 who have been playing banjo 1 - 3 years.

My long range dream is that they could reach college age to find such as
scholarships or loans available to "repay" some on their passion.  I  haven't
got long to only dream in the case of some as I also have 4 students  ages
13 - 15.  Indeed I am blessed by their ongoing interest.

I also would enjoy seeing more of these youth electronically find each
other.  But the kids I teach have such full lives already, they are not
hanging out much, if at all, in the electronic world.  I do forward  relevant
YouTubes to their parents and hope they occasionally pass them  on.

Total kids here: 13 + 2 on military L.O.A. with their father.  And I  am
trying to figure out what the teaching materials need to look like for a
beginning age range of 8 to adolescent.  Have already thrown out my first  Intro
Book.  Working on my second at present.  Today's kids have never  heard the
public domain tunes, historical tunes such as Polly Wolly Doodle,  etc.
Guess what?  They do think these tunes are cool in their  rhythms and
fascinating in their historical context.  Camptown  Races helped build the
railroads.  Really.  And if they get to  hear something like "Carolina in the
Morning" they will ask if they can have a  copy to add to their books.

Finally, I am not qualified by academics or proficiency to be doing any of
this.  Just following my heart.  So that's also my plea.  Maybe  others on
the list can do more also.  I have recently witnessed an  "old-timer" in New
York state cross paths with an interested pre-teen, agree to  try to teach
him banjo, and they are going full-stream ahead.

Ginny

In a message dated 9/17/2011 2:38:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,