[Dixielandjazz] Collier, Bergreen, and Louis

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Sep 16 10:08:05 PDT 2011

Well, JLC isn't an historian, and apparently not a
psychologist/psychiatrist and as I recall, he asserts his hypotheses as
facts, so what the hell?

He's entitled to his hypotheses, as long as he couches them in appropriate
terms. That doesn't mean he couldn't come up with something *interesting*
that might spark further, scholarly, research, eg. some of his comments on
Ellington.

And it doesn't mean that neither he nor Butch could do accurate
psychological analysis of musicians--jeez, when I think about some of the
folks I've played with, psycho analysis was essential for self-defense,
especially for band leaders...

--Sheik