[Dixielandjazz] S.O.L.Blues - Kiss My etc. - Do What Ory Say

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 16 07:33:45 PDT 2011

> "Glen Page" <gpage at shaw.ca> wrote
>

> Greetings all,
> I raised my eyebrows when 	Bergreen attributed "If you Don't
> Like......You Can Kiss My F.... ass "to SOL Blues."I have always
> heard that
> Ory used this in "Do What Ory Say"It would certainly more in context
> with
> the title of the tune than it would be relevant with Louis' tune.
>
> And if you don't like...........................

Dear Glen:

Back in April 2003, there was a DJML post  by Bill Haesler about "Do
What Ory Say." He checked it out and was of the opinion, agreeing with
his mate Geoff Bull, that "Do What Ory Say" was actually a copy of a
tune called "Mama's Baby Boy" by Johnny St Cyr and Armand J.Piron,
circa 1917.

No doubt somewhere, "If You Don't Like This Tune You Can Kiss My
F***ing Ass" lurks in some song somewhere. Question is which one? <grin>

There are lots of very funny, earthy quotes similar to that song title
out there that spring up every once in a while. Early Jazz was no
different than early Rock in that regard. IMO the originators did not
think of it as Art, but rather Life.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband