[Dixielandjazz] Update On Carol Leigh's Condition

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Sep 14 17:02:12 PDT 2011

When forwarding any email, please use "Netiquette." Delete all names, email addresses,
forwarding tags, etc. Just forward the content.

This from Carol's husband Russ Whitman:

"""""
To Everyone,
Carol is doing much better and is scheduled to come home on Tuesday, Sept. 20. She
was moved to a nursing home near where we live on August 30. There she has received
nursing care and physical, occupational and cognitive therapy ("occupational" simply
means living at home). She has responded well to all of these to the point of being
released, although the limit on the time Medicare will pay for nursing home care
may have had something to do with the selection of this date.
I don't know when she will want to speak on the phone or write E-mails herself, but
getting home to a familiar environment will heighten her spirits and lessen her confusion.
She is quite well aware of things up to the time of the fall. She does not remember
the fall and, for the next 12 days in Yale-New Haven Hospital, she was moved to a
different room every few days (ER, ICU, etc.). So, at the time she was least able
to deal with what was happening, she was in the most confusing circumstances.
My own reaction to her recovery is that it is not complete but remarkable nonetheless.
She still suffers from the pain of her broken bones and considerable back pain which
was not entirely due to the fall but probably a manifestation of some arthritis which
was there before the fall. The broken ribs and collar bone are expected to take many
weeks to mend, the back pain may be treatable by an orthopaedic surgeon of which
there were none at the nursing home. The only MD who saw her impressed me as primarily
a writer of prescriptions, not one well-versed in diagnostics and other forms of
treatment.
I hope this reaches you and is helpful in satisfying your concerns. We are very grateful
for your cards, calls and E-mails. I have been very distracted and therefore not
very helpful in supplying information. Also, until the date for her coming home was
set, there was not much definitive data to supply. As a sidebar, concurrent with
this has been the complications caused by my sister (who is 81 and confined to a
wheelchair) being kicked out of her assisted living apartment because her assets
were used up and my having to enlist the services of a Chicago elder-law firm to
help her get Medicaid.
Still hoping for a complete recovery,
Russ
RussWhitman at aol.com
RussWhitman at hotmail.com
Russ and Carol Leigh Whitman
41 Park Place
Ansonia, CT 06401-2837
""""""

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

Q:  How many presidents does it take to change a light bulb?
A:  None. They will only promise change.