[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Six

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Sep 14 10:01:26 PDT 2011

We do a song that I took off of an old LP I've had since I was a kid that is
called "Basin Street Stomp".  It is credited as being written by the Basin
Street Six, and is on their Mercury album MG20151 called "Strictly Dixie".
It's a real crowd pleaser & is on our latest CD.

The Basin Street Six features George Girard on trumpet...who died in 1956 at
the age of 26.  Another youngster on the album is Pete Fountain on clarinet.
I found out (don't remember how) that the trombonist is Jim Rotus...someone
I have little knowledge of, nor have I found any information about him.  The
band was based in New Orleans according to the notes.

How come no one has ever commented on George Girard on djml?  He was
excellent!   The notes on the LP cover are quite poetic, extolling the early
death of the trumpeter, but little information is actually given.  The note
writer was Bernard Asbell who, if it is the same writer, died at age 77 &
was acredited with writing many books.

Jim