[Dixielandjazz] James Lincoln Collier

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 14 07:49:23 PDT 2011

On Sep 14, 2011, at 8:56 AM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> (Eric H. wrote)I certainly have no problems with amateur musicians
>> as such, and have worked
>> with many such people during my career. Some of them were quite
>> gifted
>> players.
>>
>> But I don?t recall any of them writing books full of twenty five
>> dollar
>> words.
>
> Perhaps Mr. Collier is a lot smarter?

He probably is A LOT smarter, Marek:

Hamiliton College, his alma mater, is one of the top US colleges for
above average intellects. After he graduated, and  then finished his
Army service, his first gig was as a magazine editor. He then, being a
part of a family of writers and literati,  took up writing as his full
time day gig.

Jazz Trombone is his part time gig and he is a gifted player. Just
another outlet for his creativity I guess. But his main generator of
MONEY is writing.

His most read books are fictional accounts of historical events. Many
of his books are written for children.

Regarding his writing he has been described as a "master of the
historical fiction  genre". Perhaps that extended to his biography of
Armstrong?

He and brother Christopher Collier have co-written many Historical
Novels (fiction) that are used to teach History. Most famous is "My
Brother Sam Is Dead" It is one of the most frequently banned book in
US School Libraries because of the truthful nature of this
Revolutionary War story, but that's for political chat lists, not
music chat lists.

In any event, JLC is a writer first and a musician second. Very smart,
creative guy who like the rest of us, sometime has feet of clay. And
remember he neither writes nor plays specifically for any one of us so
let's adopt that famous Bix line: "It doesn't bother me" <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband