[Dixielandjazz] James Lincoln Collier

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 13 23:55:25 PDT 2011

dwlit at cpcug.org wrote [in part]:
> I read Collier's books on Armstrong, Ellington and Benny Goodman. The only reason I still have them is I have a hard time discarding books that might
> have some useful facts.
then
> .....I never finished Laurence Bergreen's "Louis Armstrong" because he insisted on making many statements that went way beyond the facts.

Dear Sheik,
Although, I too noticed that, I also felt that the Bergreen book is extremely well written and an easy read.
So much so that I bought his other two biogs of Al Capone and Irving Berlin.
(But have not yet finished reading either.)
I found his Armstrong book to be chock full of facts, and refer to it regularly.
Mr Bergreen did his own excellent research with a lot of acknowledged help from the jazz authority Dan Morgenstern.
Which may be of interest to Marek.
OK now (stir, stir) what about the jazz writings of musicologist Gunther Schuller?
*>)
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I am currently reading, and enjoying, Terry Teachout's 'Pops'.