[Dixielandjazz] European Copyright Law Change

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Tue Sep 13 17:08:17 PDT 2011

Australia signed a FREE TRADE AGREEMENT with the United States which came
into force on January 1, 2005. What it had to do with free trade I have no
idea, but the Americans insisted that the Australian copyright on sound
recordings be extended from 50 to 70 years. This of course benefits the
major American sound and film producing companies much more than any
Australian companies.

Even worse is the copyright period for musical compositions which extends
for 70 years AFTER the composer's death. Once again the benefits flow to the
music publishing companies. Irving Berlin composed Alexander's Ragtime Band
about 1912 - although it is out of copyright in America, it will be under
copyright in Australia until 2060, as Berlin didn't die until 1989.

It's often said that we get the politicians we deserve. I don't believe
that.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell