[Dixielandjazz] James Lincoln Collier's Book on Armstrong

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 09:13:43 PDT 2011

As Eric has discovered, and Steve Voce hinted, the JLC book on
Armstrong is controversial to say the least. Some talking heads love
it, while others claim if is fraught with errata and sloppily
researched, adding that as a writer, Collier is best known for
fictional works.

He is a wonderful amateur OKOM trombonist having developed a love for
jazz at Hamilton College which featured Jazz Band concerts from the
mid 1940s through the 1960s. He was part of the student group that
brought  a notable jazz band to perform there in 1947. That band
included  Max Kaminsky, Miff Mole, Art Hodes, Danny Alvin, and Tony
Parenti. It also included James P. Johnson to perform intermission
piano.

I met him in the 1950s when I was with a Dixieland Band that played at
Hamilton every year. Our drummer, Dick Sherman was a classmate of
Collier's. Collier sat in on trombone and was wonderful. He was also a
regular in a Dixieland Band that played every Thursday at the Donnell
Branch of the New York Library on a gig that lasted about 25 years.
That band, includin g Sherman, used various NYC players depending upon
who was available. Musos like Tony Parenti, Peter Ecklund, Jon Erik
Kellso, Orange Kellin, Joe Muranyi, et al.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband